As a bioinformatician at Evozyne, you will analyze next-generation sequencing data sets to quantify the activity of synthetic and natural enzymes in vitro and in vivo to drive the development of novel therapeutic enzymes for human genetic disorders. Additionally, you will be responsible for the development and maintenance of custom bioinformatics pipelines to assemble and extract features from bacterial genomes to identify natural multicomponent systems. Reporting to the Senior Director of Data Science, you’ll work in a highly collaborative environment where you’ll partner with molecular biologists, machine learning experts, and software engineers.
Location: This is a hybrid role working onsite at our Chicago office 2-3 days per week.
What You’ll Do
- Analyze data sets of high-throughput sequencing experiments to quantify the properties of enzymes to power deep learning models.
- Evaluate the impact of protein therapeutics on human cells through sequencing assays.
- Collaborate with wet lab scientists to optimize both in vitro and cell culture assays.
- Customize bioinformatics pipelines for metagenomics analysis to identify novel natural biological systems, such as CRISPR ribonucleoproteins.
- Train generative deep-learning models of biological systems
- Build software infrastructure for NGS analysis automation.
Who You Are
You thrive in an early-stage start-up environment where you can leverage your agility and expertise to deliver high-quality results. You are naturally curious and excel when working collaboratively to solve tough problems across multiple disciplines. You know when to implement advanced machine learning approaches and when a T-test is enough. You find satisfaction and motivation in your work while taking the time to pursue your passions outside of the office.
- Data Scientist I: Master’s degree with 0-3 years of experience working in the areas of biology, bioinformatics, and/or molecular genetics.
- Data Scientist II: Ph.D. with 0-2 years or master’s degree with 4+ years of experience working in the areas of biology, bioinformatics, and/or molecular genetics.
- 1+ years of experience executing NGS workflows (e.g., BWA, amplicon analysis)
- Fluency with Python programming; experience working with pandas and Biopython strongly preferred
- Fluency in bash scripts
- Robust background working in biology and bioinformatics, including genome assembly and genome annotation
- Knowledge and utilization of large bioinformatics databases (e.g., PDB, GenBank, Magnify, etc.)
- Highly collaborative, willing to work cross-functionally with both domain and technical experts
- Flexibility in day-to-day, agility and adaptability to new challenges, and a willingness to learn new approaches
- Data Scientist I: Master’s degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, or related discipline
- Data Scientist II: Ph.D. in Biology, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, or related discipline
- Working knowledge of gene editing techniques and technologies (e.g., CRISPR)
- Experience using GitHub in professional environments
- Working knowledge of deep learning applications in biology
- Experience collaborating with wet-lab scientists
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are key drivers to our success, whether that is in the form of background, personal identity, perspective, or opinion. We value the difference you will bring to our organization and encourage candidates with non-traditional backgrounds to apply.
Evozyne is a generative AI-powered drug discovery company. We united a team of top scientific and business leaders around a common mission: to create novel biological molecules that improve human health. We are defining the innovative edge of science and artificial intelligence to find answers to critical therapeutic challenges. The central technology is based on deep knowledge of the principles underlying the evolutionary design of proteins. Evozyne is strongly positioned to make a meaningful, positive impact locally and globally for years to come. Learn more about who we are at www.evozyne.com.