Agriculture is facing tremendous challenges from rising global populations, decreasing arable land, increasing environmental pressures from climate change and more.
Have a protein design problem that can feed the world?
Equip plants with diverse and novel proteins for optimal growth
- Engineer proteins in the photosynthetic process to improve crop yields
- Create functional diversity in insecticidal proteins to counter the evolutionary resistance of insects
- Make gene editing of plants faster, better, and cheaper by optimizing editing enzymes
- Protect crops from abiotic stresses
- Improve plant nutrition and reduce nitrogen runoff by engineering nitrogen fixation pathways
Improve animal nutrition while reducing its impact on the environment
- Design species-specific, optimized animal feed proteins for increased health and yield
- Make next-generation animal feed enzymes optimized for nutrition, processing, and environmental impact
- Provide solutions for reducing greenhouse gases from various livestock applications
Create a healthier food supply for humans
- Develop enzymes that can make difficult-to-synthesize molecules like human milk oligossacharides (HMOs) to improve nutrition
- Make edible oil production more environment friendly through reducing waste and improving process efficiency
- Develop processes to produce healthy fatty acids without relying on volatile and dwindling fish oil supplies